Thursday, January 27, 2011

Photo display that won't blow away


I don't know about you guys, but it seems like every venue for Highland Games is the most wide open wind swept place in town.  How many times have you chased your display (and sometimes the tent) across a field?  With the Sarasota Games just around the corner, I attempted to come up with a solution for the problem. 

Here is what I came up with for under $30. 
 I purchased 2 melamine shelves and attached them to each other with 3 hinges. 
To keep the shelves at an angle so they won't fall over, I attached some small "L" brackets to the edge next to the hinges.

The whole thing folds for transport, but is pretty heavy so it won't blow away. 
 I also added some brackets, ones I had left from another project, to the outside edges so it can be tethered to a tent post or peg in the ground.  If you are purchasing something for this purpose, screw eyes would be ideal.

I used cool melt hot glue to attach the photos.  It didn't damage the photos and I am hoping that they will peel off when we are ready to change them.

4 comments:

  1. Good job on the display! Two years ago I remember the Sarasota games being quite breezy. Guess we'll find out tomorrow if the new place is going to be the same way! If it is, at least your display will be ready for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it seemed to work well on Saturday. Our only problem was that the photos curled in the sun and the hot glue came loose. I think I will go back and use only high temp hot glue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info on creating the poster board as well as talking to us about the chapter banner - I saw the one at Rasher's after the games and we will definitely be following your suggestions for the St Pete Chapter banners etc.. Great games with a bunch of great people!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After using the display for a whole season I'm looking for another kind of glue to use or we may just splurge for plexi-glass to go over all of the photos. The hot glue comes loose when the board heats up in the sun. Anybody have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete